This cell group meets every other Saturday morning:
Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital
5401 South Street
- Before 8:00 a.m.: Gather in Silence, Ryan Memorial Chapel
- 8:00 a.m.: Morning Prayer
- 8:15 a.m.: Time of Silent Prayer
- 8:30 a.m.: Gathering, Frontier Room
- 9:30 a.m.: Breakfast and Fellowship, Cafeteria.
Summer 2017: Text: The Vinedresser’s Notebook: Spiritual Lessons in Pruning, Waiting, Harvesting & Abundance, Judith Sutera, OSB, Nashville, Tenn.: Abindgon Press, 2014.
September through May, 2017–2019: New Seeds of Contemplation, Thomas Merton.
Sources: The Rule of St. Benedict, the Bible, and other resources.
The group’s discussions begin with the chapter’s prayer for the community of oblates. After spending a few moments on “housekeeping” items, one member of the group leads a time of lectio divina on a passage from The Rule of Benedict. Then a time of discussion, either on the reading from the book of the season or on another topic, follows.
Sample Discussion Topics
- “Learning to Pray: A Journey through Benedict’s Chapter on Humility”
- “The Life of St. Benedict Reflected in Postage Stamps”
- “Gossip, Slander, and Complaining: The Control of the Tongue in Early Christian Monastic Literature”
- Rod Dreher’s “Benedict Option”.
Carol Roettmer Brewer.